UGC-NET or NET is a national-level examination conducted to determine the eligibility of Indian citizens for Eligibility for Assistant Professor or both Eligibility for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in Indian colleges and universities. The exam-conducting body – NTA – will decide the fate of the candidates from the academic year 2018-2019. The candidates must secure good marks in both the papers of National Eligibility Test in aggregate. Those students who qualify for Assistant Professor (exclusively) won’t be considered for the JRF award. Such students are governed by the rules and regulations for recruitment of Assistant Professor of the concerned colleges/universities/state governments.
One of the highly anticipated exams in India, National Eligibility Test was earlier organised by the Central Board of Secondary Education in 84 subjects at 91 selected cities across the nation.
NTA UGC NET 2018 December (Session) Important Dates:
To ensure that students have adequate time to prepare for the exam, the National Testing Agency had announced the tentative schedules. Aspirants of Assistant Professor or JRF can submit their applications in September 2018. The dates are mentioned below.
|Important Events||Important Dates|
|Submission of online application form begins||1st September 2018|
|Closing date to submit application form||30th September 2018|
|Availability of hall ticket||Three weeks before the commencement of exam|
|Exam to be held||02-December-2018 to 16-December-2018 (In 2 shifts each day on Saturdays and Sundays)|
|Results to be announced||Fourth week of January 2019|
NTA UGC NET 2018 Exam Pattern (December):
The year 2018 saw major changes in the exam pattern. The previous governing body kept two papers – Paper I and Paper II, eliminating the Paper III.
- Total papers: Paper I and Paper II
- Total number of questions: Paper I has 50 questions (all compulsory) & Paper II consists of 100 questions (all compulsory)
- Weightage of question: 2 marks (each question)
- Total marks: 100 marks for Paper I. 200 marks for Paper II
- Exam duration: 3 hours (Paper I – 1 hour and Paper II – 2 hours)
- Negative marking scheme: No
- Exam mode: Online
The Paper I is designed to assess the general awareness, divergent thinking, comprehension, reasoning ability, etc. of the candidates. The questions will be of general nature and will check the research and teach skills of the applicant.
The Paper II, on the other hand, carries questions related to the subjects chosen by the students.
NTA UGC NET 2018 Syllabus (December):
The NET exam has a vast syllabus. There are 84 subjects and each subject has a different syllabus. Students taking the exam are required to opt for one subject as per their choice.
To download the syllabus of subjects, check this link out https://www.examsplanner.in/articles/ugc-net-exam-syllabus-for-all-subjects/.
NTA UGC NET 2018 December Exam Eligibility Criteria:
Educational Eligibility –
- If you hold a Master’s Degree from a recognised university, you are eligible to appear for the NET 2018 exam.
- If your mark exceeds 55%, you are eligible for the exam.
- Candidates belonging to reserved categories including SC/ST/OBC/PwD are required to score 50% marks (minimum). They get 5% marks relaxation.
- Also, candidates who have completed Masters in 1991 are eligible for 5% marks relaxation.
Age Eligibility –
- For Junior Research Fellowship eligibility, the candidates must not be more than 30 years of age as on 01.07.2018.
- For Assistant Professor, there is no upper age limit.
- The reserved category students, such as OBC, SC, ST, transgender, women and persons with disability avail 5 years age relaxation (from 30 years to 35 years upper age limit). Also, the Information Brochure states, “A relaxation of up to 5 years is provided to the candidates who have served in the armed forces subject to the length of services in the armed forces up to the first day of the month in which the concerned UGC-NET is to be held”.
- 3 years age relaxation is permissible to the applicants with L.L.M degree.
Eligibility for Assistant Professor –
- Qualifiers of NET/Set/SLET (prior to 1st June 2002) and UGC/CSIR JRF (prior to 1989) exams are exempted from taking the NET test. They can directly apply for Assistant Professor in any Indian college or university.
NTA UGC-NET 2018 December Application Process:
Interested and eligible candidates are advised to keep a watch on NTA’s next move. The Agency would release the application form online at its official website in the first week of September. To fill the online application form, check out this official link http://nta.ac.in. Along with the form, applicants must pay the application fee, which is non-refundable. After submitting the form, take a printout of the acknowledgement page for future use.
NTA UGC-NET 2018 December Hall Ticket:
The Agency will release the NET admit card for the December edition exam three weeks before the commencement of the test. The NTA UGC NET 2018 December admit card is expected to be released in mid-November 2018. After you download the hall ticket, cross-check for the following details on the card –
- Name of the candidate
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name
- Photo and signature
- Exam centre
- Name of the subject
- Date and timing of the exam
Note: In case of discrepancy, contact the authority immediately.
NET Result 2018 (December):
As per the tentative schedule, the result of UGC NET 2018 for the December session exam will be declared in the fourth week of January 2019. Those who can’t wait for so long are suggested to UGC NET answer keys and OMR sheets to analyse their marks. NTA will release a separate list for applicants who make it to the award of JRF.